Sunday, January 9, 2011

What's New Is Old, What's Old Is Still Old

Time to dust off the old blog and give an update. It's been a couple months, and part of the reason for the delay is that I was moved from Montgomery to Jackson, Mississippi. Coordinating the move, finding an apartment, and all that jazz took up some time, as well as the fact the apartment I found did not have internet access until quite recently. I could go quite in depth on some of these subjects, but here are the quick hits:

- I hate apartment hunting, never want to do it again, and if/when it comes time for me to buy a house, I will hate that process with fiery hatred only met by the flames of hell.

- Living in an empty apartment for two weeks sleeping on air mattress while your stuff is overdue to arrive can really drive a man crazy. Conversely, with the lack of anything to do, it's a good reason to drive around and get to know the new place in which you live.

- Some radio stations here are apparently stuck in the 80s, because I hear an inordinate number of songs by Guns 'n Roses and Rush. You'd think they were still topping the charts with the frequency I hear Welcome to the Jungle and Limelight.

- I'm apparently the only Polish person to ever live in the state of Mississippi because people have problems pronouncing my last name way more than any other place I've lived. (My favorites: Belichick, Ball-chur-ick, Bell-sir-uk).

- After finally receiving my stuff, I realized how much of it I never really use or need. I used to be a pack rat when I was a kid, but now? All this stuff is just a hassle. A purging fire is on the horizon (in the metaphorical sense, since apartment regulations won't allow for an actual one).

- The project I'm on should be great, from the looks of things. There are a lot of experienced people, we've been well received by the client, and we all get along really well. Assuming I don't hit a stumbling block or choke somewhere along the way, this should be an awesome work experience.

- Having my own apartment instead of a temporary one really does feel so much nicer. Knowing it's all my stuff, that it's my space, feels liberating. It's a place I can call home.

- Maybe it's a result of playing too many video games, but I keep finding parallels between my new life here and Harvest Moon. I think I'm just bored in my new found downtime. But if the townspeople take a vote two years from now on whether they'll allow me to stay or if I need to move out, remember I wrote this.

- While I have bought a washer and dryer for the apartment (my first major appliance purchase!), I still haven't bought a TV. I don't know why, it just hasn't happened yet. I don't know if I got burned out planning and thinking about it or what, or if it's just the idea of spending thousands of dollars that has me balking. Also deciding whether I want a wall mount or a stand on an entertainment center.

That's pretty much the long and short of things. For those who were hoping for more details, I apologize. I've hit a point in my writing I usually hit and have problems moving past. If there’s one thing that’s plagued me in my writing career it’s the fear (or realization, perhaps) that what I’m jotting down isn’t anything new, insightful or original. It’s the exact same steps every teen, adolescent, and young adult goes through for that particular stage of their life. We all know moving is hard. We all know that it's difficult meeting new people in a new town. A new job is difficult, and will be stressful until you find a rhythm. Every time I see (or think) it happening, I’m hit with the sensation of being a thief, or even worse, an unoriginal hack who’s wasting others’ time. And from there I tend to give up; like I’ve painted myself in a corner and decided to quit redecorating the room altogether. The fact that they are *my* realizations and *my* words are probably of interest to some, but for me I need more. It's most likely a comfort level thing I need to get past, and I will most certainly try if for no other reason than to keep my writing skills relatively sharp. Hopefully I can find that happy medium sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment